So, you’ve inherited a house?
Do you find yourself thinking, “I inherited a house, now what?”
First of all, congratulations! We understand inheriting a house might be a stressful situation for some, but you don’t need to worry. We broke down your options and explored pros and cons. We also provided further steps you need to take after you make your decision.
So let’s go!
First thing’s first.
HuffingtonPost states these are the questions you need to ask after you inherit a house:
- What condition is the house in?
- How much will my expenses be?
- How much is the house worth?
- Should I move in, rent it or sell after I’ve inherited a house?
So, what are your options?
Sell when you’ve inherited a house!
Inheriting a house comes with plenty of unwanted headaches, especially if it’s something you didn’t want to happen. The first thought most have is to sell the house.
RealtyTimes states that the absolute first step you must take if deciding to sell your inherited house is t0 seek legal action. Are you selling an inherited house to a sibling, at a loss or just wanting to sell? There are a few questions that should be addressed during this process, including the following:
- Who will take care of getting the house ready for sale?
- Who is responsible for negotiations and real estate agent hirings?
- How will you divide the expensive?
- Who is responsible for caring for the house while it is on the market?
You can also sell your house with a realtor without making repairs, or sell to a cash home buyer. We offer you both of these options! The best part is that you can get a cash offer in just 24 hours – your inherited home can be sold faster than you think!
Selling the house fast would be the best option for those who have no intention of moving in or renting it. There are a few pros as well as cons that come with this decision.
Pros of selling an inherited house:
- It can be sold FAST!
- Paying in cash and having flexible payment options.
- Not having to worry about the future of the property.
Cons of selling an inherited house:
- You will have less control over who gets your house.
- You might not be able to sell for the true value of the house.
If you’re considering selling, read this article: how to sell an inherited house in Southwest Michigan.
Rent when you’ve inherited a house!
Another option to consider is to rent your inherited Southwest Michigan house. If the house is to be rented, the heirs might ask:
- Who will collect the rent?
- Who takes the maintenance calls from tenants?
- Where will the rental deposits and payments be held?
- How will the income after costs be split among the heirs – each month, quarterly or annually?
Cons of renting an inherited house:
- NextAvenue states that:”For tax purposes, the house (not the land) is considered a depreciable asset and a certain percentage of its value can be deducted annually.”
- It can often be time-consuming.
- You’ll need to make sure your tenants are a perfect fit for the house.
Pros of renting an inherited house:
- Steady income on a long-term basis.
- Creating networking relationships with the tenants.
- Adding your management skills to your resume.
Move into your inherited house!
This option might be an obvious one – you could move when you’ve inherited a house and call it your new home.
The question that comes with moving into your inherited house is what to do with your current house. The same answers as above apply – you could easily sell it or rent it if you wish to do so.
Before you do decide to move into the inherited house,HouseLogic suggests to do the following:
- Investigate the mortgage.
Especially if you’ve inherited a house from your parents at a loss – be aware of the current mortgage situation and know how to deal with it.
- Physically check the house.
Is the property furnished or unfurnished? Take note of what needs to be fixed and what you want to fix. How does the season change affect the house? Do you like the surrounding area? See if all conditions meet your criteria before you decide to move in. Gather all necessary paperwork on the house and its appliances.
If you inherited a house from your parents, you need to address the following questions:
- Are you moving in alone, with your siblings or other relatives?
- If the latter two, how will you split the costs?
- What do you want to do with your current property?
Don’t forget to check out Good Housekeeping’s moving checklist – 9 Smart Things to do Before You Move
So, what’s it going to be? These decisions take time and planning. Make sure you check your budget, consult with professionals and get all your documentation ready.
Decided to sell? Give us a call and we will provide you with the best cash offer in just a couple of days!
Get a Cash Offer Within 24 Hours
Lucky for you, we buy houses in Southwest Michigan. We work fast to get you a no-obligation cash offer for you house within 24 hours.
Our customers comment all the time about our soft approach. You won’t get a hard sell with us. If you are not completely satisfied with the offer we make to buy your house, you don’t have to accept it. No charge. No fees.
We’d love to talk to you today about the house and your situation. We’re here to help even if you decide not to sell your house.
Give us a call at 231-392-3262 or fill out the form below to get started. We look forward to talking with you.